Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Joined a Union Today (Oh, Boy)

I am again a union member, having joined the IWW. Did I do this because I have come to believe that, in my heart, I am truly an anarcho-syndicalist? Those who know me know that the answer is a "no." One, I don't have the patience to try to figure out what exactly that might mean and, two, I can't believe that any political philosophy is quite expansive enough to encompass both post-modern and Victorian Dave. Even one that tries as hard as anarcho-syndicalism.

I was attracted to the IWW in a general knowledge/historical affection/want to join a union that is not AFT, but have no other options-type way. I read up on their current philosophy and could find little to disagree with in this section of their One Big Union philosophical statement. Those of us advocating for an organizing model approach to unionism should admire the following:
* The job is the only place where you can win your demands.
* Organization does not just happen; it is made to happen. Do your part.
* The person next to you should be in the union. Have you tried?
* The I.W.W. is practical. Let people know about it.
* Union literature in your pocket is lying idle. Take it out and put it to work.
* If every Wobbly gets a new Wobbly every month, we would have a 4 hour day in a year.
* If meetings aren't being held in your locality, you can arrange them.
* The activity of the rank and file, and not the "leaders," will advance the cause of labor.
* Don't send for a delegate when you can do it yourself.
* One who fears is enslaved. To understand the I.W.W. is to know that industrial unionism will guarantee your protection.
* Even on a job that can't be unionized for now there is always something that can be improved, and collective action can lay the ground work for later organizing.
* The strength of workers lies in solidarity.
As far as I can tell, the IWW advocates for all the things "we" advocate for, so i joined up for a six-month stint. I have even pledged to myself to try to go to meetings, even though I know that they'll be dominated by Old-Left Johnson and his merry band of hippies/marxists. I will, of course, keep you all informed.

Oh yeah, you, too, should join the IWW.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i look forward to being organized.

dr said...

I've been meaning to join the IWW forever.