Thursday, November 1, 2007

On Your Deathbed, You Will Receive Total Consciousness

So I think I am back off the job market and here I still sit at the GTFF. My record was not a distinguished one. For my four interviews, I got one job offer for a 4 month gig, one sort of offer where SEIU wanted me to ask for the job before they offered, and two flat-out rejections. I could argue that I went .500, but given that I never left home plate, the better argument is that I struck out.

Without going into too much detail, because you never know who reads this thing, I debated for a few weeks whether I would take a job with SEIU here in Eugene. There were pros (money, springboard to other jobs) and cons ("Big Purple," CAPE). I hemmed. I hawed. In the end I couldn't get past the fact that all throughout my second interview my brain was screaming "No!" and "Run!"

Still, I was going to let my need to advance in the union world override my instincts, but then I interviewed with the Portland nurses, AFT Local 5017. I really enjoyed the interview. I liked the people, the atmosphere, and people seemed to really respond when I was talking organizing, bargaining and about myself. It made me realize that there I jobs out there I really want to work and I wouldn't have to force myself to go into the office to meet my political donations quota.

It is not soul crushing that I cannot, apparently, get any of these jobs. It is not.

Of course, the job that I have long-coveted is about to come open again. I am not at all sure that I will apply for it. I've already not gotten it once, so it is already a little bit sad for me to apply for it again. Plus, I think that the organization realizes that adding another man to the staff would throw the "gender" balance of the staff way the hell out of whack, so I already have a good chance of not getting the job.

I'll try to pretend that I am bidding my time.

In the meantime...

I have lost 12 pounds and my recent tax assessment tells me my house is worth $286K on the open market. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

3 comments:

Space Kitten said...

I'm sorry for you that none of the jobs panned out, but I'm very happy for myself because that means you'll be staying here in your almost $300 K house.

Unknown said...

it's not like you have an undesirable job, uncle. - p

ash said...

patrick is right...and yet, as someone who briefly did the job, i can attest to the fact that it has somewhat limited growth potential. i think it's natural to want new challenges, new circumstances, etc.--even if you like and appreciate where you are.