Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Homefront


The Mothers - Kathe Kollwitz, 1921

Hey, welcome to a new series here at GBOR where I post the work of others because I am too lazy/busy to post anything original on my own. Kidding, of course, that's what I've been doing for years. In this case, I will be posting graphic work that it not my own. See the difference? I don't really have the language to talk about art and, as I have discovered when I foray into discussions of music, when I don't have the language it takes me about four seconds to say something stupid. On the other hand, if I stick to "I like this" or "For me, that it not what I like" people tend to respect that. I don't know why, maybe they just feel sorry for someone so completely defenseless. So that's pretty much what I'll be doing with these posts; just throwing up an image and saying "I like this."

As with music, my tastes in art tend to run to the dark and distorted, so we'll be seeing quite a bit of German Expressionism from the interwar period (is there any other kind?), but I imagine I'll mix in some other stuff that I like as well that it different. Maybe not the classics, but some lighter stuff. Like when I mix Mary McGregor in with my Tool.

This first image is probably my favorite art image of all time. It is so powerful, I cannot imagine anyone not being drawn to it. Why is it that I own a print of it that sits under my bed? I don't know. Maybe 'cause I'd have to look at it all the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read this blog. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.