Monday, May 5, 2008

Good Times, Good Times

Finished the contract on Friday evening. Overall, it went pretty well. From when the UO was claiming that they were completely out of money and we'd have to accept the offers they had already put on the table, we got them to put another $470K per year on the table. We didn't eliminate fees, but we took another chunk out of them. You can check the particulars here.

For my part, I got here in 1999 and started being involved with the union in 2000. As part of various teams of kick-ass people, I've helped to do this in my time here:
  • The minimum wage has gone up 30%
  • The health care plan has gone from costing $1.5M to $5M+ and GTFs have not seen a cost increase since 2000. In fact, the cost to add children will go down by $100 next fall.
  • The deductible has gone from $200 to $100 per year. We've added a bunch of benefits, including the much-needed adult circumcision.
  • Fees have gone from being uncapped at $267.50 to being capped at $150. We just got the matriculation fee waived for GTFs as well.
  • We just secured vacation for our research GTFs who have professors who sometimes forget that there are things called holidays.
  • We'll be making a presentation to the Department Heads at the annual Provost's Retreat.
  • Non-discrimination language for transgendered GTFs.
  • Much, much more I am forgetting.
  • Oh yeah, membership has gone from 54% to 77%.
Celebrated my birthday Saturday night. A crew of my friends gathered at Lucky Noodle and went "around the world" on the appetizers. Going "around the world" means ordering all the appetizers on the menu. I invented it. You have to twirl your fingure when you say "around the world." It is very silly. It was also great fun. Fourteen dishes brought out a few at a time to be passed around and shared and commented on. I really enjoyed it. I recommend.

Bought a Wii last week. Been Wiiing it up.

Won a trivia contest at a local bar on Friday night with a fine team. Drank too many Jack and Cokes. Played Wii when I got home.

Talked with the new field rep from AFT-OR earlier. She's stoked on our contract. Gave me a little bit of the Piano Man treatment and encouraged me to look at a Nat Rep job.

I turn 36 years-old tomorrow. My life is awesome. I love my wife dearly and I am reasonably sure she loves me. We have this super awesome daughter who I don't appreciate enough, but will start. I quit smoking four years ago, I lost 30 pounds this year.

Sweet Jesus, how did I get here and how can I make sure I never leave?

5 comments:

wobblie said...

I believe at this point someone is supposed to say "Boom!"

ash said...

we love you, dave! happy (almost) birthday and congrats on another kick-ass contract.

just one thing: the adult circumcision is great and all, but when are you people going to do something about the pressing issue of repatriation of remains for international GTFs???

dr said...

Circumcision!

ash said...

maybe we could compromise? repatriation of foreskins for circumcised international students?

wobblie said...

That's right, dr. Adult circumcision. What do you say to your members (heh... I said member) when they ask if they're health plan covers a little snipping? Huh? Huh?

There is, of course, a story behind that...